Terms Of Reference
Conservation Alliance of Kenya (CAK) requires the services of a competent web designer (individual or firm) to develop a new trendy and user-friendly website with a strong visual appeal. The website needs to embody CAK’s wide and forward looking mandate as well as have a robust Content Management System (CMS) and CRM that can effectively manage large amounts of data and an array of file types including embedded video, audio, photo formats, HTML and PDF.
The Conservation Alliance of Kenya (CAK) is a new membership, non-profit company, limited by guarantee whose membership is open to registered international non-governmental organizations (NGO), National (NGO) and community-based organizations (CBO) with shared interests in the conservation and management of natural resources in Kenya.
The Alliance aims to create an enabling environment for increased communication, accountability, and transparency and to ensure a balance between development and conservation. The Alliance coordinates and works to strengthen the capacity of civil society by encouraging cross-learning opportunities, participation in policy-making dialogue, and contributions to appropriate negotiations at national, regional, and international levels. The Alliance supports conservation NGO “s and their ability to address the key priority areas identified during the Naivasha 2015 meeting, which includes the promotion and implementation of the National Wildlife Conservation Strategy, its major thematic areas, regular Wildlife Status Reports, guidance to the operationalization of County Wildlife Conservation and Compensation Committees, and securing wildlife corridors.
Our current web presence is logged in one site;
With this project, we intend to have one website that will address the organization’s general, programmatic and fundraising needs.
2. Scope of the Assignment
Under the line-management of the Admin and Communications Lead, the service provider will be expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Web design and development: – Develop a layout and structure for the dynamic website capturing the latest trends for website presentations which is compatible and easily accessible to most common device’s browsers (Laptops, mobiles and other handheld devices)
- Integrate a membership management system – membership application form for potential members, and information sent to our email with all required documents.
- Integration with a Content Management System (CMS) – preferable WordPress- based on the best user-friendly tools.
- Integrate an effective search function
- Integrate a donation platform allowing individuals to donate online directly on the website and transfer funds to CAK’s existing merchant accounts, with information deposited in our donor database. (Mpesa, Pesapal integration)
- Develop a user-guide for the website and the CMS, complete with the most common troubleshooting guidelines
- Train CAK staff on how to manage content on the new website.
- Following an internal appraisal process, install the website on the hosting location, and transfer all archived content from the current website into the new website (images, text, embedded video, PDFs, HTML, photo albums, etc.)
The website should have the following features:
- An attractive graphic layout that embodies our image and adheres to the ActionAid branding specifications.
- Interactive and user-friendly
- A design that allows regular improvements on look and features.
- We suggest a not less than 6-page site but are open to recommendations that will work best.
- SSL/TLS secure connection and green bar enabled
We are looking to for highly user-friendly CMS which is easy to use and robust to support emerging website technologies- Preferably WordPress but we are open to discussions on this.
- The CMS should be dynamic and allow content to be easily updated by administrative staff without specialized web development skills.
- Ability to incorporate all our social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.) with live update options. We insist on a live social media feed.
- Ability to work well with search engines;
- Incorporate Google analytics
CRM (should include, but not be limited to)
- Ability to host subscription options;
- Easy to integrate with Fundraising CRM and related APIs
- Ability to set goals for fundraising, donors, tweets, petition signatures, signups, volunteers, followers, endorsements, event RSVPs, survey responses, suggestions and more.
3. Proposed site structure
The below listed sections are just indicative and we expect the selected service provider to advise based on what will work towards achievement of our goals with this website. This is hence not final, subject to proposal and discussion.
- Mission, Vision and Values
- History (interactive timeline)
- Our Focus
- The Team
- Management (Key Programme/Policy/Admin staff bios)
- Our Members
- Join Us
- Our Partners
- Active fundraising Campaign/Donate
- Work with Us (link to this at bottom of front page)
Stories Publications Media Center
Social media feed Contact us
Terms & Conditions Privacy
Newsletter sign-up form (link to this at bottom of front page)
4. Minimum Qualification and Capabilities Required
- A Kenyan individual/organization with adequate knowledge and at least 5 years of progressive experience with web design proved through portfolio of designed products.
- Experience with CMS – open-source, proprietary and custom solutions.
- Experience with constituent relationship management (CRM) systems who can share relevant examples of establishing CRMs for nonprofit organizations.
- Experience developing websites for other non-profit organizations.
5. Application Requirements
- A detailed resume and portfolio containing candidate or firm’s qualifications and experiences with samples of previous work (e.g. web links to previous work). Include key project person’s CVs and links to projects they worked on
- A reasonable financial proposal based on the deliverables outlined in the TOR;
- Proposed timeline of delivery.
- Email addresses and phone numbers of two accessible referees familiar with the candidate’s work.
6. Application Process
Applicants should send their expression of interest to email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org (Indicate ‘CAK Web Developer 2020 ‘in the email subject line).