Policy and Advocacy Manager (PAM) Nature Kenya– Re-advertisedAugust 23, 2021
Career Opportunity at Nature Kenya
Nature Kenya—is the East Africa Natural History Society (EANHS), Africa’s oldest environmental Society, established in 1909 to promote the study and conservation of nature in eastern Africa. To learn more and become a member visit www.naturekenya.org
Enterprise Development Officer (EDO): Tana Delta Green Heart Initiative
Organisation and Aims
You will be working for an innovative business enterprise ‘the Greenheart Initiative’ which aims to create jobs, transform lives, spur economic growth and keep nature values in the Tana Delta. The Greenheart Initiative is led by the Tana River County Government, assisted by Nature Kenya. It will be steered by a new body ‘the Tana Delta Sustainable Development Board’.
The Greenheart Initiative will:
- Create an enabling policy and good governance for green production in the Tana Delta.
- Promote the development of green enterprises and markets for locally produced agricultural
products as a precursor for creating employment and improve local livelihoods, and
- Build the capacity of local actors to produce, negotiate contracts and sustainably supply products to the green businesses.
Position Enterprise Development Officer (EDO) for the Tana Delta Green Heart Initiative
Your primary role will be to execute instructions and decisions provided initially by TRCG and NK, and subsequently by TDSB. You will work within the guidelines established by the Business Case for the Greenheart Project, and as the coordinator of a small team of specialists comprising the Executive Director (NK), assigned Nature Kenya staff and advisors, the Greenheart Secretariat and invited
Your initial responsibilities in the first three months of the assignment will be to:
1) Work with the Tana River County Government to fast track the creation of the Tana Sustainable Development Board
2) Become an integral part of the Greenheart Secretariat to be formed with seconded county government staff
2) Coordinate the survey and establish the framework of the Pilot Green Industrial Park (GIP),
3) Develop a road map for the mobilisation of private investment (especially in relation to the pilot Green Industrial Park) while also building stakeholder capacity to increase climate smart agriculture production and local processing in the Tana Delta.
4) Work within the secretariat to convene investors conferences to attract green enterprises.
5) Liaise with other project staff (from TRCG and NK) to support existing Farmer Cooperatives and enhance their capacity by coordinating farmer production, bulking and supply.
6) Develop and maintain the initiative’s website, and communication materials produced either by yourself or with your support.
A. Reporting, supervising and planning
- Report to the Executive Director
- Work closely with the Tana River County Government, Green Industrial Park Secretariat,
Tana Sustainable Development, Policy and Advocacy Manager and Tana Delta Projects
Manager. Others are Species and Sites Manager, Local Empowerment Manager, Marketing and Membership Manager, Prorgammes Support Manager, Finance Manager and all other Conservation Programme staff, interns and volunteers.
- Attend and assist as necessary to take/review minutes at the Tana Sustainable Development Board and other meetings
- Assist the board in defining their operational structure including required sub-committees
B. Support the Green Heart Initiative Secretariat to implement the Green Heart Initiative
- Prepare Terms of reference for the secretariat
- Prepare a list of core actors to engage in the planning and implementation of the green heart initiative
- Catalyze the secretariat to hold briefing meetings (physical/virtual) at agreed frequency
- Support the secretariat in day-to-day operations of the secretariat
- Train the secretariat to take up the green industrial park tasks as required to continue the operations into the future
C. Support the Secretariat and the Board to convene investor conference
- Work with the secretariat to scout and create a data-base of potential green investors
- Prepare pitches targeting particular green enterprises and pitch to them to win their interest in the Tana Green Heart Initiative
- Support the secretariat and the board to convene meetings to plan for the green businesses investor conferences (explore Nairobi, Mombasa, Garsen)
- Work with the secretariat and Nature Kenya staff to profile cooperatives/ producers to prepare presentations about their production
- Hold Public meetings in Garsento brief communities/cooperatives and invite expressions of interest in pilot development projects
D. National/regional/county investment conferences
- Plan one day events in Nairobi, Mombasa and Garsen/Hola (likely to be held in October/November 2021)
- Establish network / database of interested investors ahead of the conferences
- Produce Conference Brochure and Information Pack
- Invite selected developers/investors to be keynote speakers
- Organise inspection tours in the Tana Delta for interested developers
- Prepare individual project leaflets setting out specific opportunities in relation to selected site areas
- Hold individual Investment Conferences
E. Communicate the Green Heart Initiative to diverse audiences (local, national, global)
- Open and populate the Green Heart Initiative Website
- Establish network and database of potentially interested investors
- Advertise in national magazines and periodicals and media
- Follow up with personal one-to-one contacts
- Organise set tours of the Delta for interested parties
F. Promote the appointment and functioning of the Green Heart Initiative Governance
(theTana Sustainable Development Board or equivalent)
- Draft terms of reference to appoint a consultant/expert to develop options/ ToR for Board (investment council / private company / public-private partnership). Also, tasks to include criteria for the selection of board members and criteria for the selection of green businesses in line with the Land Use Plan.
- Engage with the County Government for the immediate appointment of the board and agree modalities for ensuring the board (or other name) is backed up by County laws
- Coordinate the training of the secretariat to attain capacity be able to convene and take
minutes at the Green Heart Initiative Board
- Coordinate the training of the Board to be able to deliver their mandate as per the ToRs within the objectives of the county government and the needs of the local stakeholders.
- Support the Secretariat to convene the first and subsequent meetings of the board
G. Tana River County engagement and support of the Green Heart Initiative and the
Green Industrial Park.
- Hold discussions with the Tana River County Government and make follow up for the
appointment of a temporary project manager and two assistants (conference organiser and planner/engineer) to form the County Government Secretariat at the Green Industrial Park area
- Hold discussions with the Tana River County Government and make follow up for allocation of a room in County Offices in Hola for the use of the secretariat when following up on county roles in the green heart initiative.
- Liaise with the Tana River County Government to identify and demarcate an area of 60
Hectares (more is better) for the first pilot industrial estate in the vicinity of Minjila
(Garsen/Idsowe). This location is favored because of its strategic location in relation to new road improvements, access to the National Grid, close access to the Tana River for water supply and treated effluent disposal systems, and a prominent location in public view for maximum marketing opportunities.
- Liaise with the Tana River County Government and the secretariat (if already appointed) to establish a small site office (container type) at the Minjila Pilot Industrial Estate with desk spaces. This will act as a point of first contact for green enterprises interested to learn more about the Green Heart Initiative opportunities
- Engage the County Government to recognize and integrate the Green Heart Initiative into the County Development planning and budgeting
- Engage with the County Government for the immediate appointment of a governance body (likely to be called Tana Delta Sustainable Development Council/board/company) and agree modalities for ensuring the board (or other name) is backed up by County laws
- Engage with the Tana River County Office to discuss and agree a letter of agreement for the collaboration to start the Green Heart Initiative for one year and agree future collaboration
- Strive for personal and professional development by updating your knowledge and skills, and taking part in appropriate conservation-related activities outside the workplace
- Maintain a safe, clean, organised and efficient personal work space and common areas
- Any other reasonable duties as specified by the Executive Director
Core competences for the post holder
The Role of Enterprise Development Officer is a challenging position, requiring an individual with the charisma to inspire others, a good knowledge and understanding of business practices, excellent organizational and communication skills, a willingness to experiment, a social conscience and commitment to making things better for local communities, and a real concern for the environment and the true meaning of sustainable development.
The ability to demonstrate these qualities is more important than formal, training and specialization, but the successful candidate is likely to have been educated to degree level, to have worked within one or more organisations in a coordinating role, to have experience of policy development and planning, and to be able to show evidence of practical achievements in management and leadership.
Direct experience in any of the following fields will be an advantage:
? establishing a small or medium sized enterprise,
? community liaison,
? working in the field of rural development,
? marketing local produce,
? liaising and communicating through web-based and social media
If interested please submit your CV and cover letter to Office@naturekenya.org to arrive no later than 30th August 2021. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.